Friday, March 7, 2014

Mageia 4 review

           DistroWatch has a full review of Mageia 4, and it's not a very upbeat one. It seems that Mageia 4 is a bit of a mess and could use some tweaking.
            I have to say, having played with Mageia 4 for the past week, that I was disappointed by this release. It may be telling that this past week marked one of the few occasions I have run checksums on a distribution's installation media multiple times, suspecting corruption. I have long been a fan of Mandriva and its family of distributions, such as Mageia, and this latest version just did not feel like it was ready for release. Most of the time it barely felt like it was ready for beta testing.
            There were some highlights to this release. The distribution's Control Center is still one of the more user friendly configuration panels available and Mageia comes with a great collection of documentation and a pretty friendly system installer. Even with these positive aspects I felt like I was battling a slow and buggy system throughout the week and it is my hope the developers can get Mageia back on the rails for version 5.
             It's a bit of a drag to see Mageia in such straits. The last version I reviewed was Mageia 3, and I was quite pleased with it. I hope the developers are able to improve Mageia 5, and bring it back to its previously good experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment