Friday, March 7, 2014

XFCE Desktop Environment compared with GNOME and KDE

             
                    XFCE better than GNOME and KDE?
       Datamation thinks that XFCE is better than GNOME or KDE.
       Over the years, I've spent the bulk of my time with the Linux desktop using either GNOME or KDE. Both environments have grown over the years and each desktop has continued to expand its current user base.
       The sleeper desktop environment – which I didn’t even considered years ago – has been XFCE. I've found that XFCE offers more robustness than say, LXDE, which lacks much of XFCE's polish in its default configuration. XFCE provides all the benefits one may have enjoyed in GNOME 2, but with a lightweight experience that makes it a hit on older computers.
        I found myself agreeing with the conclusion of the article - that XFCE is indeed a better experience than GNOME or KDE - but also disagreeing with the idea of bothering to compare these three desktops in the first place.
       I tend toward being a minimalist so of course XFCE appeals more to me on a personal level. However, individual tastes in desktop environments are mostly subjective so it doesn't make much sense to compare them unless they fit into a particular category or share a similar design goal.
       For example, I don't consider GNOME or KDE to be lightweight desktops but I do consider XFCE to be one. So it would have made more sense to compare XFCE with other lightweight desktops rather than two desktops that aren't designed in a similar way.
       I think the article ended up comparing apples to oranges.

No comments:

Post a Comment